There are so many things that you may be entitled to that you just don’t know about. Some parents have no idea what’s out there for them and could be sadly missing a great opportunity to support their families.

We know from our own experiences that our own families have missed out on benefits that would have made a real difference, whether it was Disability Living allowance or just a half price ticket to the cinema, it all makes a difference.


We have put together some ideas and information that may support you. We will be working continuously to update this page with new information as and when it becomes available. Take a look at both our family essentials and our family fun section on this page to find out if you could benefit from any of these.

Here we have some great resources and support groups.

Take a look and see if any of these could be of support for you.

The Southend Advantage Card


  • Reduced prices for a range of activities such as swimming, golf, outdoor bowls and concerts*

  • Access to special promotions and additional discounts for certain special events

  • Discounted rates for donated seats

  • Free equipment hire at our leisure centres for concessionary groups

  • You can use your Advantage Card as a deposit for equipment (including racquet hire)

  • Free entry as a spectator at our leisure centres

  • Discounts at a variety of shops and organisations.

With the range of activities that you could save on, the small cost of the Southend Advantage card will be quickly recovered.

N.B. *Discounts off memberships at any of the Council run leisure centres are not applicable with an Advantage Card.

Girls Swimming Underwater

CEA Card

The Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema. The Card is also one way for cinemas to make sure they look after their disabled guests. If you require an adjustment to visit a cinema because of your disability, cinema staff should make them for you whether you have a CEA Card or no.

Eligibility: To apply, the person requiring assistance must be 8 years of age or older and be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA

  • Attendance Allowance (AA)

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Or hold:


  • Severely Sight Impaired Registration (formerly Registered Blind)

  • Sight Impaired Registration (formerly Partially Sighted)

When applying for a Card please send or upload the awarding letter from DWP or a statement confirming receipt of the allowance for the applicant dated within the last 12 months. Alternatively, for Severely Sight Impaired or Sight Impaired applicants, please send or upload certification for the person requiring assistance. If you are unable to find this correspondence, or do not meet the above criteria but believe that as a result of your disability you still need someone to accompany you to the cinema, please contact us. Please note we don't accept Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance or being a Blue Badge holder as sole proof of eligibility.

Laughing at the Movies

Disabled Bus Card

Who is Eligibile? 

You can get a free disabled person's bus pass if you live in Southend-on-Sea and:

  • Are blind or partially sighted

  • Are profoundly or severely deaf

  • Are without speech

  • Have a disability or have suffered an injury which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk

  • Have no arms or can't use both your arms
    have a learning disability

  • Would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988). This category includes disabilities that would cause someone to be a danger to the public if they drive. For example, dementia, cardiac disorders, severe mental disorders and long-term epilepsy.

You are not eligible for a free bus pass if your driving licence would be refused due to alcohol


Companion Card

A copy of proof you cannot travel alone, please provide one of the following, which must be no more than 12 months old:

  • Your most recent Disability Living Allowance (DLA) uprated letter with higher rate mobility component or care component with a period of entitlement of at least 12 months

  • Evidence you receive attendance allowance at the higher rate

  • Evidence you receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of at least 8 points on the 'moving around' and/or 'communicating verbally' activities or enhanced rate

  • A letter from a doctor confirming you are unable to travel alone and the reason for this.

This is an additional concession and is non statutory, the criteria is set by Southend- on-Sea Borough Council). Travel by the companion with the pass holder is restricted to Southend and Essex only, from 9.00am until midnight Monday to Friday and anytime during weekends and Public Holidays.

Holding Hands

Disabled Rail Card

The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. You will qualify if you:

  • Receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

  • Receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at either:

  1. The higher or lower rate for the mobility component

  2. Or the higher or middle rate for the care component


  • ​Have a visual impairment

  • Have a hearing impairment

  • Have epilepsy

  • Receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement

  • Receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme.

Toy Train

Family Fun - Adventure Island

The park’s current policy on ticket and wristband sales for disabilities entitles the carer to a wristband of equivalent value for half price of the in-park rate. Carers must be over the age of 16 to be responsible for anyone they wish to accompany, assist and care for. Guests may have two carers per person.


The carer’s wristband entitles the wearer access to rides only when accompanying the person being cared for. Carer’s bands can only be purchased at Customer Services and will only be issued with proof, such as a DLA Letter or carer’s card. They also offer a:

  • Carer’s Annual Pass. The Annual Pass is assigned to the person that needs assistance and then different carers can accompany them on separate visits.

Only one wristband will be issued per annual pass per day. 


The carer’s Annual Pass is half price of the Annual Pass price.

For group or advance bookings, or for further information please call customer services on 01702 443400. Customer Services can also advise you on the best visiting periods to avoid queuing.

FunFair Family